[digiKam-users] Advice on Digikam (multi-client) setup

woenx marcpalaus at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 9 19:29:49 GMT 2019

Hey, I don't think digikam is thought to be used in a multi-user scenario,
but I found that the easiest solution is to keep a local database for each
user/device, and share only the picture library in a NAS. That way, it is
not as fast as having the library in your computer, but it's still
reasonably fast, and you avoid some problems that may arise when two or more
users try to access a shared database at the same time.

Basically, in the Settings/Metadata options, check the last two options:
Rescan file when files are modified, and Clean up the metadata from the
database when rescan files. And in Settings/Miscellaneous, check the options
to Scan new items on Startup, and remove obsolete core database objects.

In order for that to work, of course, you should save the metadata in the
picture files or in sidecar files, not only in digikams database. Now,
everytime you start digikam, it will spend a few minutes trying to detect
changes in the library, adding new pictures, and removing missing ones. But
I have been using this method for quite a while now, and it works reasonably
well. I use SQLite database, but I have not tried others.