[digiKam-users] More fighting with DigiKam

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Sat Apr 27 17:12:41 BST 2019

Le sam. 27 avr. 2019 à 17:51, James Orr <jorr1948 at earthlink.net> a écrit :

> Responding to the observation that the DK database might be invalid or
> corrupt, I noted that it seems to include new photos as I add them. After
> reading a bit more about SQLite, it seemed to me that the next database
> step might be to VACUUM the dust and detritus. I looked in
> TOOLS|MAINTENANCE |PERFORM DATABASE CLEANING. I left SCAN FOR NEW ITEMS
> checked and unchecked all the other boxes except for PERFORM DATABASE
> CLEANING. The cleaning process was slow, so I worked on a CADD project for
> several hours. At some time during the interval, I noticed that DK no
> longer showed in the Task Bar.--OK, it's done.
>
> When I finished the CADD project, I clicked on the DK destop icon and got
> an error message. When I searched for the DK exe program, it was missing. I
> had to reinstall DK.

This is typically abnormal. Can you imagine that we will release a program
for windows without to check is installer work properly.

I suspect highly a side effect from an antivirus. DigiKam is not a
spyware/malware. We voluntary cross compile ALL codes under Linux for
Windows, to prevent any contamination with these kind of mess. All is clean
at end, as Linux is safe.

> Looking at database statistics, the database had been reduced in size by
> about half. Tags, Pick List, and Colors still do not function. The next
> step, I guess, is to rename the existing database (I also make a disk image
> of my system nightly). This would force DK to create a new database, I
> expect. I think this is a drastic step. Any better ideas before I actually
> do it?

If you want to be sure, and test the program without to break anything,
create a virtual machine (with VirtualBox is enough), install your Windows
without any other extra program, and install digiKam. Import some
collections of images for testing and look how it work and if is stable
enough.

We your tests pass well, Install your spyware/malware stuff and look the
side effects. If i insist on this point, It's because we already see this
kind of report in the past.

Typically, i suspect that commercial programs pay to be white listed on
this "security" stuff... As we working for open source, this will never
come with digiKam.

My best