[digiKam-users] New to digikam / a few questions

woenx marcpalaus at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 24 20:01:19 BST 2018

Oh, ok. No idea, I don't think there's no way to disable the welcome page. In
any case, it is only visible if you select the top-level album or tag. It
doesn't bother me that much.

I guess there's some redundancy between the Tag panel on the left and the
tags in the Filters panel on the right. I use the Tags on the left to browse
by categories, and the Filter panel to fine tune the results. For instance,
If I don't want to see pictures of a specific person, I can set a filter to
hide him. Same if I only want to find pictures containing two specific
persons. All of that regardless of the or folder or tag that is selected on
the Left. It's quite useful, to be honest.

Yep, what your screenshot shows seems to be the same as Tags in digikam. In
theory they should all be compatible (I migrated from another picture
manager and I didn't lose any information). First of all, you have to make
sure that those "catalogs" are saved in the metadata, and not only in Media
Pro. In theory it doesn't matter if metada is written in the picture files
themselves or in sidecar files. When digikam scans for changes or new
pictures, it automatically reads any metadata it finds and replicates it in
digikam. You can really check if metadata has been written on a file by
using an external software (e.g. http://exif.regex.info/exif.cgi )

That being said, I'd recommend you trying one of the latest beta versions of
Digikam 6.0, as many bugs have been fixed during the last few months.
https://files.kde.org/digikam/