[digiKam-users] Digikam puts its "signature" in metadata even when no other changes - why?

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Fri Sep 21 11:27:59 BST 2018

On vendredi 21 septembre 2018 12:00:00 CEST woenx wrote:
> But, for instance, let's say I tag a picture with the tag "dog". Is it
> really necessary to include which software has tagged it, the version, and
> update the modification (or creation) date?
>
> Specially the last thing. Some older digital cameras did not store the date
> in EXIF metadata, and the only date was the file date. After digikam scanned
> my whole collection, all dates were changed to that day's date, so I lost
> quite a big of information.

I agree that there are situations where it's not the right thing to do. And
for those cases it is nice if the program can be set to not updating the
timestamp.

But this was about what to use as a *default*. And I maintain that the default
should be "when modifying a file, set the modification timestamp to the time of
the modificiation".

Oh, and when the dates were changed after *scanning* the collection, you might
want to file a bug report. Scanning should not modify the files or their
timestamps (as it's only reading the files). But do make sure that it was
indeed just a pure scan.

Remco