[digiKam-users] Digikam puts its "signature" in metadata even when no other changes - why?

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Fri Sep 21 10:53:58 BST 2018

On jeudi 20 septembre 2018 23:07:42 CEST Chris Green wrote:
> woenx <marcpalaus at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I don't know about the "signature", other software does the same thing.
>
> Other software doing the same thing doesn't necessarily make it a good
> idea! :-)

But it does allow the software to see what kind of fields can be expected in
the metadata, and how to interpret them.

And if there's information about the processing,  the program and version that
created that information is really needed to make sure any replay can be done
correctly. Different programs, and sometimes even different versions, can use
different algorithms or interpret parameters differently. No information about
creating program/version would make storing processing info useless: no
reliable way to reuse it, and it is not really human-readable (you see the
numbers, but you'll have no idea what they mean).

Remco