[digiKam-users] Digikam puts its "signature" in metadata even when no other changes - why?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Thu Sep 20 22:07:42 BST 2018

woenx <marcpalaus at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know about the "signature", other software does the same thing.

Other software doing the same thing doesn't necessarily make it a good
idea! :-)

> However, disabling the option to update the timestamp (Settings, Configure
> digikam, Metadata, "update filestamp when files are modified) on every
> picture it's the first thing I do when I install digikam. I lost lots of
> dates that were not saved to the metadata (the original date when the
> picture was taken) because of that.

My pictures are stored in a year/month/day hierarchy so their
directory tells me their date.  Relying on the file creation or
modification date as the 'picture' date isn't a good idea IMHO.
I need to rely on that date to ensure the right files get copied to
the other system (using rsync).

> I guess the signature is only written to files that have been modified.
> Which is all of them in your case.

I didn't modify all of them, it's quite difficult to do something that
modifies 30 thousand files!  I probably made changes that I wanted to
do to a few hundred files.  I just wanted those files copied to the
other system.

> I don't know why it's not disabled by default.

Yes, it may be something that some people want to do but I would have
thought that most people *don't* want it.

--
Chris Green
ยท