[digiKam-users] Is there any way to stop Exif Caption being copied to Description?

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Tue Sep 18 14:21:36 BST 2018

On mardi 18 septembre 2018 14:49:51 CEST Chris Green wrote:
> Maik Qualmann <metzpinguin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > DigiKam-5.6.0 is too old, you could use the AppImage digiKam-5.9.0.
> > However, the last fix for this issue was added to digiKam-6.0.0.
> >
> > Beta 1 AppImage:
> > https://files.kde.org/digikam/
> >
> > If you want to use the beta, make a backup of the database, because
> > digiKam-6.0.0 makes changes and if you want to return to an older version.
>
> Digikam x.x is *always* too old!  It's one of the major issues I have
> with Digikam, it's all very well improving it all the time but we
> 'ordinary' people out here need a solid reliable Digikam that comes
> with a solid reliable distribution.

That's normal with small development teams: they can spend their time
backporting bug-fixes to old versions, or decide to work only on the latest and
make some progress.

That said, I've seen the same for programs with big teams: unless a version is
specifically marked with "long-time support", the advice you get there is also
"upgrade to the latest version, please".

And in this case, the cause of you having an old version is NOT Digikam, but
your distro. Although there might be user-maintained repositories with newer
versions. I know that's the case for OpenSuse: for me the "official" version
from the distro is 5.5.0, build service (semi-official) provides 5.9.0, and
appimage runs without problems (for me).

Remco