[digiKam-users] Confused by tick boxes in "Edit Metadata" + how does "Captions" interact?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Mon Sep 17 08:21:13 BST 2018

Gilles Caulier <caulier.gilles at gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

> > There are also the three extra tick boxes which I assume are the ones
> > that copy metadata between Exif, IPTC and XMP.  However there is some
> > confusion here too (for me anyway!), what is JFIF?
>
> JPEG segment used to store comment and more. Look in wikipedia.

Ah, OK, thank you.

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG_File_Interchange_Format. This is not
> Exif.
>
> And yes, photo file format are puzzle...

Absolutely!  It's all a bit of a can of worms and I realise that
Digikam is doing its best to handle it all in a reasonable way.

[snip]

> > What would also be really, really useful would be a listing of which
> > Exif, IPTC and XMP fields correspond to each field in the "Edit
> > Metadata" section as this would clear up any ambiguity between
> > "Comment", "Caption", "Description" and similar.  Either this or give
> > the actual field names in the "Edit Metadata", e.g. you could put
> >

> In fact no. This tool try to simplify the complixity of reduntant metadat
> tags in files, something like the file properties in Photoshop.

OK, but it would still be very useful to be able to find this
information.  I know some are described in detail in the
Metadata->Advanced tab in Settings but it would be good to know how
all are handled.  Maybe the section in Settings could be extended?

Anyway, thank you for your reply, I know this is a rather 'messy' area
in handling image files so there is no easy answer.

--
Chris Green
ยท