[digiKam-users] Confused by tick boxes in "Edit Metadata" + how does "Captions" interact?

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 17:54:24 BST 2018

> This is all on Digikam 5.6 running in xubuntu 18.04.
>
> Firstly the tick-boxes in "Edit Metadata".  Each item you can edit has
> a tick box, what does it do?  Does it simply mean "you can change this
> item", does it mean that the item gets written to metadata when you
> click "Apply" or "OK", or what does it mean?

Checking a section enable change in metadata relevant when Apply is
pressed. That all.

> There are also the three extra tick boxes which I assume are the ones
> that copy metadata between Exif, IPTC and XMP.  However there is some
> confusion here too (for me anyway!), what is JFIF?

JPEG segment used to store comment and more. Look in wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG_File_Interchange_Format. This is not
Exif.

And yes, photo file format are puzzle...

> After some
> experimentation it seems that Exif Comment means Exif Caption and that
> when the 'sync' tick-box is ticked then whenever an item is *changed*
> then the corresponding other metadata is synchronised.  This can be a
> bit confusing if, for example, "Sync Exif Comment" is ticked for both
> XMP and IPTC.
>
> Also how does the "Captions" section of the sidebar interact with
> all the above?

When you change something in metadata editor, DK will scan the image
metadata and sync back the database.

This will sync the right sidebar tab.

> What would also be really, really useful would be a listing of which
> Exif, IPTC and XMP fields correspond to each field in the "Edit
> Metadata" section as this would clear up any ambiguity between
> "Comment", "Caption", "Description" and similar.  Either this or give
> the actual field names in the "Edit Metadata", e.g. you could put

In fact no. This tool try to simplify the complixity of reduntant metadat
tags in files, something like the file properties in Photoshop.