[digiKam-users] How to manage accented characters (etc.) in picture descriptions?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Sun Sep 9 18:29:28 BST 2018

What is the best way to manage accented characters in picture
comments/descriptions?

At the moment I have quite a few pictures with French place names etc.
and Digikam (I think) has put them into the IPTC 'Caption' and the
exif 'User Comment' field as ISO8859-1 encoded single-byte characters.

This doesn't work very well with any other picture handling software,
in particular some reject the exif field completely.

How do others handle this?

--
Chris Green
ยท