[digiKam-users] How to 'clone' a Digikam installation to another computer?

woenx marcpalaus at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 2 23:02:00 BST 2018

Yep, I have both. I have two computers at my home (one windows, one ubuntu),
and the pictures and the databases are in a NAS. It's not very fast over
wifi, but it seems to work.

In addition to that, the pictures are synced every night with unison to
another NAS at my parent's house, and they use a third instance of digikam
with its own database. The sync is bidirectional, so if they made changes to
the pictures I'll receive those changes and digikam will detect them at the
next startup. And viceversa.

The ideal solution for me would be a client-server version of digikam. The
server would run on one of the NAS and clients would connect to it to access
the database and the pictures. But that's asking too much. Meanwhile, I also
run Filerun (https://www.filerun.com) to access my files from a web browser
and search by tag.