[digiKam-users] Is there a speed advantage if database is on a different drive?

Matthieu ermelir at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 21:54:40 BST 2018

Hi,

Digikam will be faster if the database engine/server is located on the
server/desktop which launches digikam: you'll reduce the network latency.
If your pictures are stored on a network storage, no matter of where is
located your database, it will be slow: digikam must check the pictures to
identify new ones: the bottleneck is your network speed and your NAS
performances.
MySQL is by default slower than SQLite but using SQLite does not allow to
have an integrity constraint violations and so your database could be
corrupted.

My feedback from my NAS storage pictures management with digikam: MySQL is
not an option when you have a large number of pictures (when migrating from
SQLite to MySQL I've seen that many of my data have to be processed back).
Both CIFS and NFS protocols offered quite the same performances.
After my migration from 5.9 to 6 beta, the average performances increased.
I tuned a bit MySQL to manage my 25k pictures.

hope it can help.

Mat