[digiKam-users] How to 'clone' a Digikam installation to another computer?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Tue Oct 2 20:48:00 BST 2018

woenx <marcpalaus at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Just copy the four database files to the new installation. If the paths to
> the library are different, you can edit the database to point to the new
> path. Using SQLite Database Browser (sqlitebrowser.org) or some other
> software to edit databases, edit the "AlbumRoots" table and point to the new
> path.
>
> You can even add two paths for the same library using this method:
> http://digikam.1695700.n4.nabble.com/digiKam-users-DigiKam-and-multiple-computers-best-practices-tc4705570.html#a4705575
>
> (I don't know if that's officially supported, but it works).
>
> If they already have the exact same path, you don't have to do anything.
> Just copy the databases to the new computer and start it.

I've just tried this and it's not quite working.

I simply copied everything in one /home/chris/pictures directory to
the same directory on the other computer.  Digikam runs OK on the
'destination' computer but:-

    I had to say Digikam files are on a 'removable' drive, presumably
    this is because the driveId is different.  Not a problem really.

    Whenever I double-click on a thumbnail I get the message "the
    storage location of this image is not currently available", this
    is rather a show stopper!

So, what have I done wrong?

--
Chris Green