[digiKam-users] Importing xmp data from Lightroom 4.4 to Digikam 5.5.0

jonjt jjthompson488 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 21:52:50 GMT 2018

Hello Everyone,
Thanks for the replies.

You will find an example image here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GaokEvrZ3MEkIco_WmGHUXORZ4p30sQc
This example is a little complicated so, forgive me if my explanation is a
bit confusing.

This tar.gz file has a few files in it.  First, you will find the .cr2 file.
Of course, that is the original file I shot with my 7D.  Next, there is
"IMG_7109-Edit-2.tif".  This file was the file that I performed noise
reduction on with Topaz Denoise.  It's also one of three total .tiff files
that I've had in my Lightroom library for some time.  The other two .tif
files I created for post processing experimentation.  However, I have not
tried editing those files in some time.  As such, I decided not to upload
those two files.  However, I thought it prudent to mention these additional
files, because I do believe the changes made to those additional files are
tracked in the .xmp file that is shown here.
Additionally, I've included two other files.  The first file in that last is
"IMG_7109-Edit-2 DNG-TEST3.dng".  That was a .dng that I recently exported,
to see how previews and edits .dngs.  Previewing this .dng shows the edits,
even after I've selected the "Preview shows the full image" option in the
configuration widget.  However, when I open this image in the image editor,
the changes shown in preview disappear.
Finally, "IMG_7109-Edit-2 TIFF-Test.tif" is also included.  The previewed
image and that shown in the image editor are both the same; both images show
the postprocessing changes I've made in Lightroom 4.4.  Of course, this is
different from the other files located in the linked tar.gz file above.

I'm guessing that the process for importing changes made in Lightroom 4.4
would require me to create a second, .tif, copy of all files edited in
lightroom.  Doing so would allow me to preserve the post processing I've
done while also saving the .cr2 that has the unmodified raw data.  I wanted
to run this by you just to see if there is a better way to migrate.  While I
do have enough storage space to keep multiple lossless copies of these
original images, I'd prefer to be a bit more efficient with the space that I
use.

Thanks for the help and please let me know if I should provide anything else
(including another example).