[digiKam-users] Difference between face tag and normal tag?

woenx marcpalaus at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 8 16:57:48 GMT 2018

Hi, maybe somebody with more experience can lend me a hand.

I am a bit confused regarding face tags and regular tags. What's exactly the
difference between them?

I suppose that face tags are to tag... well... faces. But on the tag list,
they all seem to be intermixed. Is there an easy way to distinguish face
tags from regular tags? What happens if I use a face tag for tagging a
picture without its face rectangle? What happens if I delete or rename a
face tag? Does the picture still conserves its "face rectangle" without a
name? Do the same tag work as a regular tag for some pictures, as a face tag
for others?

I have a lots of pictures tagged from another software, where faces were
already recognized (and stored as xmp data), and I additionally tagged each
person with a regular tag. Now when Digikam reads these pictures, some of
these tags are fused (if the person and its regular tag have exactly the
same name), and some are displayed separately (if I used some abbreviation
for the person name, for instance). Some appear as subtags of "People" and
others as a first level tag.

To further complicate the issue, the metadata explorer on the left panel do
not seem to display the face rectangles and their associated names in the
XMP section.

I am afraid of touching anything in case I lose the faces in my pictures.