[digiKam-users] Google Services plugin and missing metadata?

MarekZielinski Marcus at Zevax.com
Fri Mar 2 21:55:19 GMT 2018

Hi,

I am testing digiKam as a replacement for Picasa, and also as a tool to
maintain durable albums (i.e. albums surviving years of software changes).
In general it looks like a great tool. I tested Exif, IPTC and XMP comments
(with utf-8 required). EXIF is pretty much useless, IPTC and XMP work fine
(XMP is natively utf-8, IPTC does some magic but it survives). I then
compared the comments with those displayed in Picase and Google Photos.

Picasa displays XMP and IPTC in this order (i.e XMP takes precedent)

However, export form digiKam to Google Photos (using plugin) does not seem
to retain metadata, neither IPTC nor XMP. The photos are exported, but the
comments are not shown.

I used the same photos, exporting them to Google Albums in two ways: a) From
Picasa, and b) Directly from computer (Google Photos gives you such option).
In both cases the Captions are retained and shown in Google Photos.

The digiKam manual says (the pdf version):  "When you export images to web
services, the captions will be exported at choice into either/or/and
caption/title of the web gallery system, no need to re-write the story for
publishing"

Questions: is there a configuration for this plugin? Is it a bug? Did I miss
anything?

Any clue would be appreciated