[digiKam-users] Digikam video support in Ubuntu 17.*

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 09:08:32 GMT 2018

> Hello everyone,
>
> I use digikam for managing my image and video databaze. After update to
> Ubuntu 17.* Digikam lost abitility to play any video or show video
> thumbnails at all. According to Digikam faq and discussion on OpenSUSE
> forum this is becose of need for Qt multimedia support. However I am
> afraid, that QtAV is not supported in Ubuntu 17.04 and 17.10 (
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/digikam/+bug/1676484).

No

Since 5.4.0 release, Qt Av _FFMPEG_ are used to handle video, where
previous release used QtMultimedia +GStreamer.

As the last one (GStreamer) make a huge puzzle for end user to work
properly, we switch to a more powerfull backend ; ffmpeg.

So you need QtAV (which use exclusively FMMPEg in background) and ffmpeg
codecs.

> Is there any way, how can I get Digikam video support working on Ubuntu?
> Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi :) IÍ„ have bunch of videos to go through...

Yes, it's simple : use The AppImage bundle that we provide which have the
video support inside.

Curent 5.9.0 pre version is here : https://files.kde.org/digikam/

> Thank you for your help. Regards, M.

Obi