DigiKam 5.8: AVCHD (.mts) video thumbnails missing

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Sun Jan 21 07:33:46 GMT 2018

On samedi 20 janvier 2018 21:14:29 CET NeiNei wrote:
> Dear Gilles, Maik and Andrey,
>
> I tried with no luck:
>  > digikam from Philip Johnsson 's PPA.
>
> There is no DigiKam 5.8 available for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (Xenial)
>
>  > gstreamer codec bundles good bad ugly
>
> "good" was installed by default, installing "ugly" etc. did not change
> the situation
>
> I tried with success:
>  > try the appimage and see if the issue is still ther
>
> With the DigiKam 5.8 AppImage it is working
>
> DigiKam 5.8 64bit on Windows 8.1 works, too
>
> So do I now run out of options to get the native Digikam 5.8 package to
> work?
Yes.

If the packagers who make the "native" digikam 5.8 package refuse to include
QtAV support when compiling, there's nothing you can do to get it working, as
it's a hard-coded part of the program, not a plugin.

So you can:
use the appimage, or
compile digikam yourself, or
switch to a distro that has everything you need compiled in their packages.

Remco