Import from iPhone 5 behaves strangely

ralphl lachenmaier at mchsi.com
Mon Jan 15 22:54:53 GMT 2018

I am running xubuntu 17.04 with
digikam-5.8.0-20180107T063018-x86-64.appimage.  When I plug the iphone 5
into the usb port I see "Documents on iPhone" pop up in Thunar.  If I click
on it I see afc://9836d55c2c32172560a6f24e351442ee4a5e792b:3/ in the Thunar
folder location at the top of Thunar.  The file list is empty.  If I go to
digikam>Import>Camera I see Apple iPhone 5 (PTP mode).  If I click on the
iphone a window comes up named Apple iPhone 5--Digikam.  However, when I
click on Thumbnails, no thumbnails appear.  The bar at the bottom of the
window next to the camera icon that normally gives percentage of memory used
in the camera is blank, so digikam is not completely connecting the camera.
However, I can fix this by unplugging the iPhone, dropping the import
window, re-plugging the iPhone, selecting Digikam Main
menu>Settings>Configure Digikam>Cameras, select the iPhone, and click
Remove.  Then, in the same window, select Auto-Detect, and the iPhone pops
up.  Click OK at bottom, select Digikam Main Menu>Import>iPhone and the
window that comes up will begin loading the Thumbnails.

Is anybody else having this kind of behavior, when trying to load iPhone
photos???