[digiKam-users] [digiKam] Facebook integration with 5.9 (beta), Fuse issue

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 19:42:44 GMT 2018

> I'm wondering if Facebook integration works better in 5.9 (beta), under
> Ubuntu 17.10
>
> I tried to see for myself, but can't run the appimage because of a fuse
> error.
>
> dlopen(): error loading libfuse.so.2
>
> AppImages require FUSE to run.
> You might still be able to extract the contents of this AppImage
> if you run it with the --appimage-extract option.
> See https://github.com/AppImage/AppImageKit/wiki/FUSE
>
> I've tried to install Fuse following the instructions, and also the with
> --appimage-extract option, but no luck.

The fuse component is used internally by AppImage to decompress and mount
quickly in user sapce the virtual disk from the bundle.

If i'm not too wrong, fuse right is managed by user properties. Your
account must be listed in fuse group from the system. This is how i use
Kate AppImage 32 bits compiled by myself to use on embeded Linux CentOS 6
in my office. Typically, the account is just add to fuse group in
/etc/groups. You must to be un-logged to see the changes take effect.

> Any suggestions?  I've been contributing a bit to the flickr uploader (
> https://github.com/TheFox/flickr-cli) with the idea of eventually being
> able to use that script to upload to flickr via a queue, but would really
> like to simply be able to upload selected images via the integrated DigiKam
> tools.

The Facebook tool must be ported to OAuth2 to automatize the
identification. We will have a student working on this project while this
summer. He will also ports others webservice tools to OAuth2, as Google for
ex.

A lots of changes are planed about webservice tools for next 6.0.0. This is
a main goal from my pending tasks since a while : more Qt5 only
implementations, available everywhere (editor, light table, showfoto), no
run-time loading at startup, and a factored API in digiKam core.

I will explain more details later in this room, after to publish the last
5.9.0 release planed in few weeks.

Best