[digiKam] -- extracting jpegs from RAW

Daniel Bauer linux at daniel-bauer.com
Tue Feb 20 17:46:18 GMT 2018

Am 20.02.2018 um 18:22 schrieb Tac Tacelosky:

> So the question is, can I extract the camera-rendered JPEG using
> DigiKam, and would it be any different than storing the RAW+Fine or
> Raw+Normal?  Or does digiKam render it's own JPEG file from the raw,
> based on the camera settings (e..g while balance, constrast).
>
> Should I be saving RAW+(Fine|Normal), or is that duplicating data I can
> easily get.

I don't know if you can do it with digikam, but there are many tools
that can extract the embedded Jpeg.

But:

- if you want immediate access to a Jpeg without having to convert RAW's
or extract the Jpeg from tools, it's better to shoot RAW + JPG

- newer cameras save a full resolution JPG that is processed according
to the camera settings within the RAW. But many older cameras only embed
a lower and/or much more compressed version. So it also depends on your
camera.

Me personally always shoot RAW+highResJPG.

https://www.patreon.com/danielbauer
http://www.daniel-bauer.com