[digiKam-users] Move behavior

Remco Viëtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Fri Dec 28 22:05:25 GMT 2018

On jeudi 27 décembre 2018 15:28:57 CET papertape wrote:
> Re: "... so will be deleting the trash soon."
> I advise not being hasty to delete trash.  If it's bothering no one, leave
> it.
> You never know; The Image might be in your trash.
> Of course, as a practical matter, eventually old trash loses its appeal.
> But sometimes it is necessary to retrieve an old "backup" from trash.
> (I once discovered gremlins or cosmic rays had corrupted files on one of my
> disks.  Year-old backups restored the ones I wanted.  Not quite the same as
> rummaging in a wastebasket, but not much different.)

Sorry, but very much different in my opinion:
- trash doesn't need any organisation, which makes recovery of the proper file
amongst a *large* number of items more difficult than it needs to be. Also, in
most cases the trash has a limited amount of space available, meaning older
items can disappear without warning (it's trash after all);
- backups are ment to be stored for a certain time, and to be recoverable when
needed. That implies permanency and organisation, so much easier and
guaranteed recovery (in theory).

Different purposes, so different tools.