[digiKam-users] Crash when entering Captions. Version 5.9.0

papertape plowmail2010 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 06:09:42 GMT 2018

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
DigiKam 5.9.0
Desktop computer

So far, I have used DigiKam only to enter Captions on TIFF files.   DigiKam
occasionally crashes.  Once, it crashed when I clicked on the Rotate overlay
in the expanded display produced by double-clicking on a thumbnail.  Oddly,
my computer becomes catatonic.

I copy text into the clipboard from a list of Captions in an editor (emacs),
and then click the right mouse button in DigiKam's Caption field in the
right-hand column.  Sometime during the cycle, the machine freezes.  The
mouse pointer moves OK, but clicks have no effect.  CTL-ALT-DEL has no
effect.  To get the machine going, I have to cycle power.

This has happened a half-dozen times, scattered over about a dozen hours of
running.  Twice, the file for the last image I was working on before the
crash was filled with zeros.

My album has only 600 images, and Task Manager shows memory consumption sits
around 2.6 GB (out of 6 GB).  CPU hardly ever rises above 5%.  Lazy synch is
off.

I ran chkdsk and HDSentinal's read test diagnostics on the machine's
internal disk and on the USB external disk that holds the image files.  I
ran Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool and memtest86.  No diagnostic
complained.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

(Many thanks to everyone who has replied to my other questions!)