[digiKam-users] Face recognition results not cleaning up

Sky Diver skydivergm at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 23:47:06 GMT 2018

So... to answer my own question:
First off, it turns out that "Clear unconfirmed results and rescan"
doesn't work as advertised.
Instead of clearing the results, it just rescans.

Having the unconfirmed results not clearing up was only part of the problem.
The other part was that even after fully clearing the Unknown and
Unconfirmed categories, my images still contained a large amount of
unconfirmed and unknown face-frames.
In many cases, there were duplicated face-frames for a detected face,
sometimes with a small offset of a few pixels, sometimes at the exact
same location.
I can't really tell if this was related to the application crashing
several times while detecting faces, or if it was the result of me
changing the "Parameters for face detection and recognition" value
from 80% to 90% and at some point to 100%.
I now tried playing with the percentage value and rescanning, but
didn't see duplicates adding up, so I'll assume it was related to the
application crashes (although I didn't give this a thorough test
cycle, just a few minutes at 1% and then a few more at 100%).

Technically-wise, I was looking at the wrong DBs, namely
recognition.db and thumbnails-digikam.db.
The correct DB to dig into is actually digikam4.db.

In order to clean all the Unconfirmed + Unknown face-frames, I ended
up deleting all non "tagRegion" rows from ImageTagProperties.

(*) Side note:
    I find it rather WILD that the "property" column contains textual
as well as binary values, all seemingly looking like strings when
being simply selected.
    Run the following to understand what I'm talking about:
        select distinct(property),quote(distinct(property)) from TagProperties;
        select distinct(property),quote(distinct(property)) from
ImageTagProperties;

As an afterthought, I'm not sure why I had to go through all this,
because face-frames are turned off by default (maybe I was in a
research state of mind).
Bottom line: My images are now clean of all the "zombie" face-frames.