[digiKam-users] Generating a Place tag hierarchy

Tom Cunningham TWCunningham627 at outlook.com
Mon Dec 3 02:31:25 GMT 2018

Is there, or does DigiKam already have, a way to generate a Place tag hierarchy for a given photo that already contains reverse-geocoded information in the metadata?  Right now, I have two “parent” tags: People and Places.  Underneath these the sub-tags are mainly flat.  I use GeoSetter to geotag photos, and the corresponding reverse-geocoded information is simply thrown into the tags list which I then move under the Places tag.  So for example with reverse-geocoded data such as this:

[XMP-iptcCore]  CountryCode                     : IT
[XMP-iptcCore]  Location                        : Monterosso al Mare
[XMP-iptcExt]   LocationShownCountryCode        : IT
[XMP-iptcExt]   LocationShownCountryName        : Italy
[XMP-iptcExt]   LocationShownProvinceState      : Liguria
[XMP-iptcExt]   LocationShownCity               : Monterosso al Mare

I will end up with a tag hierarchy like this:

               Places
                              IT
                              Monterosso al Mare
                              Italy
                              Liguria

What I would like to have is something like this:

               Places
                              Countries
                                             Italy
                                                            Regions
                                                                           Liguria
                                                                                          Cities
                                                                                                         Monterosso al Mare

Which I assume in string form would be Places/Countries/Italy/Regions/Liguria/Cities/Monterosso al Mare.  I was wondering if there was a way to compare the individual tags with the XMP-iptcExt (or equivalent) data and categorize it in order to regenerate the location hierarchy.