[digiKam-users] appimage

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 13:35:12 BST 2018

As a developer, and as the main maintainer of the Linux AppImage bundle, i
can say :

1/ yes, maintain a stand alone bundle take a while, especially to run on
all main linux box.
2/ AppImage as HUGE advantage, as, it include all the DK dependencies that
i compile and customize extacly as it must be for DK. For ex, the big
puzzle OpenCV is compiled with all options disabled, that we don't use.
This prevent crashes especially with Intel thread management implemented in
OpenCV. Even if this lib provide great algorithms, they include features
that must be relocated in separated library. OpenCV is the most weird open
source project that i know.
3/ AppImage can be used as well, quickly, to test new features, without to
install anything. this permit to check if a bug have been fixed with mast
commit, without that user need to compile anything. So AppImage is the best
thing which arrive in open source world and especially in Linux. this
remove the complexity to user, permit to advance in the project quickly,
and permit all regression test by the users. So the loop between dev and
users is closed well.
4/ It take now 10 minutes to update AppImage bundle after a fix, on my
computer. You cannot do better. Integrating AppImage in a Continuous
Integration process is the miracle about software management.

So to resume :

1/ I support AppImage
2/ I will continuous to support AppImage in the future.
3/ If you don't like AppImage, ask to your packagers to update and support
digiKam application natively in your system, because we (digiKam team)
don't it instead.

Voilà