[digiKam-users] Digikam Showphoto reescaling: Where to select units?

Rafael Linux rafael.linux.user at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 13:06:17 BST 2018

Thank you Gilles for the info

Remco Viƫtor wrote
> In addition to Gilles' reply, keep in mind that an image size in cm also
> needs
> a resolution (in e.g. pixels/cm) to make sense. And that resolution
> depends on
> the final output device. And if the resolution isn't known (yet), you
> cannot
> ask for an output size in anything but pixel size.

Yes, I know. Cause ShowPhoto don't have this option, I need always to open
my photos with GIMP or Krita (despite I don't need to retouch nothing in the
image) to change the print output in centimetres, changing simultaneosly the
image dpi (in attached capture you can see the Krita the powerful reescale
dialog).
<http://digikam.1695700.n4.nabble.com/file/t376179/Krita_image_reescaling.png>

> Do keep in mind that repeated rescaling of an image (the "many times"
> above)
> will cause quality loss, more than sending the 'wrong' image size to the
> printer. (Of course, this is for subsequent rescalings;  if you always
> start
> from a master file to do one rescaling step to your final file, there's no
> problem)
>
> Remco

Sorry, I should told "often" instead "many times". As you say, there will be
a madness to reescale photos previously reescaled.

Anyway, "Restore photography" disposable function of ShowPhoto makes a
EXCELLENT job really.