[digiKam-users] Printing - I need help!

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 09:32:57 BST 2018

> HaJo Schatz <hajo at hajo.net> wrote:
> > [-- text/plain, encoding 7bit, charset: UTF-8, 23 lines --]
> >
> > On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 4:03 AM Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> >

> > > Why is it that some programs manage to keep the major repositories
> > > reasonably up to date and others don't?
> > >

> > Because some programs have volunteer contributors that run a certain
> distro
> > and commit their time to keep the program updated for that distro - and
> > others don't. I'm very happy on Fedora with the way digikam keeps
> up2date.
> >
> > If for your distro digikam is outdated, you could of course always
> download
> > the source, compile it and possibly even look into creating a native
> > package and submitting it for the community of your chosen distro. At the
> > end this is what Linux is all about; it's not a commercial undertaking
> but
> > a community effort which gets better the more volunteer contributors
> there
> > are. If you expect perfect spoon-feeding, then maybe a commercial
> platform
> > is the better solution for your needs?
> >
> The issue is more subtle than that.  :-)
>
> I agree wholly with your sentiments above and there are places where I
> do contribute, however Digikam is a bit out of my 'spectrum' being KDE
> based (among other things).

Do you mean 'out of your spectrum' because digiKam is based on KDE ?

> The thing I find surprising is that some (and it's not just Digikam)
> software seems to get *very* left behind whereas others don't.
> Another case in point is Arduino which is *years* behind on Ubuntu.
>
> There are issues with the Ubuntu release cycle which freezes software
> versions within a particular release, e.g. once Digikam 4.12 was in
> Ubuntu 16.04 then that's it for the whole life of Ubuntu 16.04.  For
> this reason I use PPAs for some software which is useful/important for
> me to keep up to date.  E.g. I use the syncthing PPA to keep my
> various (not always the same version of [x]ubuntu) systems in step
> which is important for software like syncthing.

Ubuntu is a error. the default desktop try to re-invent the wheel. This is
why it's have been abandoned and Gnome is back at home.

As i already said in this room before, i tried all main Linux box
available, at home and in my office. Ubuntu is the most weird Linux system
that i see. I crash the system very quickly (where other box work as
expected). I see my students in my office crying about the system because
it's weird designed. This is why i always refused to support this (and i
think i'm not alone in Open Source).

It's not a critic about Debian. It's about Ubuntu desktop and the rest
around.