[digiKam-users] New internal trash

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 19:29:12 BST 2018

The virtual trash folder included in digiKam exists to emulate the trash
directory that you can found in other pro photo application as Aperture or
LR.

Why to not use the desktop directory instead. Because it's a by puzzle.
Each desktop use a different way to access to the trash. It's not
normalized. Also, don't forget that DK is able to work under Windows and
MacOS, which is completely different and require to grant the application
to access to the system trash.

So the solution to embed a trash in DK work everywhere and do not require
extra and complex code to do the stuff..

Note : the older DK version using system trash under Linux work ONLY with
KDE through KIOSLave. We drop KIOSLave support because it's not a portable
solution, and require more and more configuration to work at packaging. I
tried to do it with the AppImage bundle, and after 2 weeks to search the
right solutions, i definitively left KIO. It's too complex, too depends of
internal KDE runtime, etc...

Best