title and captions x-default

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Mon Sep 25 06:23:24 BST 2017

On lundi 25 septembre 2017 00:05:44 CEST Hamidreza Jafari wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When adding title and caption to images I see x-default (probably) as the
> character encoding. I am actually writing in Persian (fa-IR). When I change
> the encoding to Persian, the title or caption disappears. Additionally
> there are some ? characters in the metadata. How can I handle them?
>
> Hamid

Th "x-default" is not a character encoding, but a language code (2 letters
indicating the language, followed by 2 letters indicating the country, to take
into account regional variations):
some metadata fields can  have values for several languages, marked by a code
like fa-IR, fr-FR, en-UK, en-US, ... Afaik, those fields all use UTF-8 as
character encoding (XMP metadata).

Normally, if you change the /language indication/ back to x-default, you
should see your title and caption again.

But if you actually changed the /character encoding/ to Persian, the '?'
indicate characters that are interpreted differently between the original and
the current encoding, or that don't have an equivalent character in the
encoding you use for display. But here also, if you change back to the
original setting, you should see your original text (unless you overwrote it)

If you can, using UTF-8 as system ccharacter encoding might be the best choice
(and is the default in at least my Linux distribution).

Remco