Displaying photos without segregating by album

BensonBear benson.bear at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 03:40:28 BST 2017

"have you considered symlinks from e.g. a single directory or a directory for
each year into your camera-based folder structure?"

Well, I don't want years in directories to begin with so there is no point
to this for me.

"Seems like DigiKam can't do natively what you are looking for."

Perhaps I did not describe it well, because it turns out it easily does it
for all practical purposes, although philosophically it might be considered
less that perfect.

Just displaying the photos by a "flat" structure from the view menu works
fine.

"importing pics from multiple cameras into separate folders, renaming them
to date/time/camera file name and then merging them into one folder."

Yes that is what I described above.  I may still rename the photos at some
point in this manner.  I like this idea.

"To me, the criteria "camera" is not first priority - the date/occasion is"

Time is important, and pretty clearly objective for each photo, so putting
the time in the filename is a good idea I believe.  A time stamp is close
enough to a "rigid designator" in the philosophical sense, containing little
meaning but only reference.   But "occasion" is a much more complex thing
(and more important ultimately). A photo could take part in more than one
"occasion" for example, and thus I want to tag it thusly, not name it.

"Hence this defines the top of my folder structure."

The important of occasion is just why I don't want it in the folder
structure.

Thanks for your input!