Displaying photos without segregating by album

HaJo Schatz hajo at hajo.net
Fri Sep 22 03:15:10 BST 2017

Not at a computer now to try it but -- have you considered symlinks from
e.g. a single directory or a directory for each year into your camera-based
folder structure? I suspect DigiKam might follow those symlinks.

Seems like DigiKam can't do natively what you are looking for. FWIW, my
workflow starts by importing pics from multiple cameras into separate
folders, renaming them to date/time/camera file name and then merging them
into one folder. To me, the criteria "camera" is not first priority - the
date/occasion is. Hence this defines the top of my folder structure.

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 at 23:44, BensonBear <benson.bear at gmail.com> wrote:

> "You might want to take a look at Shotwell too"
>
> One of us uses Linux, the other uses Windows,and there is no Shotwell for
> windows that I am aware of.  There seems to be some kind of port, but it
> also seems way behind and of dubious quality.
>
> "I believe it does not write anything to files metadata either but instead
> keeps all the information in its database but I am not 100% sure about
> that."
>
> I have tried it a bit, it uses an sqlite database but also allows you to
> write the metadata to the photos.
>
> I have no problem with writing the metadata to the photos, except for the
> fact that periods of rapid alteration in tagging could trigger lots of
> requirements for large scale backup.   It is just information coded in the
> folder structure that I don't like, since it is easy to mess up externally
> and is not so flexible.  No structure it imposes is natural really (e.g,
> hierarchy, not a dag, which is minimally what one needs (and using links
> for
> this is too tricky), and arbitrary date/time divisions).
>
> I plan to every once in a while update metadata into the photos,  but have
> the real metadata in the database (and also, backup this database into a
> simple format I can use grep and such on for many simple searches.  I did
> this for shotwell's sqlite database, it is very easy to write a quick
> script
> to make a nicely formatted plain text file with just the information one
> needs).
>

> --
> Sent from:
> http://digikam.1695700.n4.nabble.com/digikam-users-f1735189.html

Sent from my mobile device, apologies for typos

PGP key: http://tinyurl.com/2016PGPKEY