moving from app-image to gentoo repository

Jim Dory james at dorydesign.com
Sat Sep 16 18:11:53 BST 2017

Hello,

Hopefully this is an easy one:

A while back I moved to the app-image I think to get by some bug (I don't
remember why) and when I did, I seemed to have lost several image tags. I
have my digikam4.db and thumbnails-digikam.db on my local drive, and images
stored on a NAS. I've pretty well rebuilt any lost tags.

I've never really understood well the tagging settings. Currently I have
these set in Metadata:
Under Write This Info to Metadata: all except Face TAgs.
Under Reading and writing: Read from Sidecar files
If possible write to raw
Update file timestamp
(Don't have Write to sidecar files checked.  ??) I have several formats
over the years, currently raw files are Canon Cr2. Some converted dng.

So I'm thinking of moving back to the Gentoo repository for Digikam5.7
(currently app-image of 5.6). The reason to move away from app-image is
just ease of updating. My questions are:
Is there no real reason to stick with app-image in my case?
How do I move back - can I just install (emerge) from Gentoo's repository,
point to current folders where database and images are, and then uninstall
the app-image if all is well? Is there danger to database to reopen
app-image if there's a problem with repository digikam?

thanks for reading, Jim