DigiKam and Dropbox

Philip Tuckey philtuckey at free.fr
Tue Oct 10 07:28:19 BST 2017

I share photos and sqlite database between a macos host and a linux virtual machine. This is similar to what you want to do, the files are local for each machine.

Just to get it working, you need to remember that you also have a configuration file which is stored elsewhere from the db and collections and which is specific to each machine. The location of the database is stored in this config file, so you need to set it appropriately on both machines. However the location of the picture collections is stored in the database, so you can't set it differently on the 2 machines. I set up links as needed so that the same path or paths work on both machines.

I'm careful to close dk in one os before opening it in the other. In your case you have to be careful that syncing has finished before using it on the other machine, good luck.

I could not work out how digikam decides it has to rescan the database. It does it every time I switch from one os to the other, even if I have not touched any files in the collections since closing digikam in the other os.

Phil