Collections on usb disk

Daniel Bauer linux at daniel-bauer.com
Fri Nov 17 19:10:57 GMT 2017

Am 17.11.2017 um 19:55 schrieb Martin Burnicki:
> jdd at dodin.org wrote:
>> I forgot to plug the usb before launching digikam, and I had to stop
>> digikam, plug, then restart digikam and now digikam is scanning the
>> collection as a new one (probably more than 30 mn long, not ended yet)
>>
>> how could I warn digikam than these collections are on removable disk?
>>
>> thanks
>> jdd
>
> I think I remember that DK asked me if it should mark a collection as
> "removable" when it was configured but the drive was not mounted when DK
> started. Don't remember which DK version that was, though.
>
> BTW, I found it strange that I could still see previews of images on the
> removable drive, even if the drive was not connected at all.
>
> Martin

I use removable collections on my laptop. Once it was scanned for the
first time, the thumbs/previews and the album tree of the removable disk
are always visible, whether the disk is plugged or not.

I guess, this is an advantage (for me it's a bit confusing, but I got
used to it).

Now, when I start digikam with plugged disk, it checks the whole disk
again each time and I have to wait...

Bit I found a work-around: start digikam /without/ the external disk,
and plug/mount it, when dk is already running. Then is does not re-read
all files, but still all files are available from the album tree.

Just, if you accidentally quit digikam and start it again without first
unplugging the external disk - you are there waiting for the re-reading.
So: never forget to unplug the usb-disk before starting digikam...

https://www.patreon.com/danielbauer
http://www.daniel-bauer.com