Thumbnails not color-managed + severely distorted shadow tonality for thumbs, previews

Elle Stone ellestone at ninedegreesbelow.com
Fri Nov 17 12:51:16 GMT 2017

On 11/16/2017 03:27 PM, Marcel Wiesweg wrote:
> Regarding the optimization flag, I find Marti Maria's definitive answer to
> this issue raised by you here
>
> https://sourceforge.net/p/lcms/mailman/message/29602585/
>
> asserting that we should not change the flag per default for very convincing
> performance reasons, but a specialized option for 16bit -> 16bit conversions
> appears acceptable

Are you suggesting some sort of internal switch - not accessible by the
user - that detects the color space and/or bit depth and then switches
between using and not using the LCMS optimizations, without the user
having any say in the matter?

If so, then I would ask you to consider instead putting in a user
preference to allow the *user* to enable or disable the LCMS
optimizations per their own choice. Krita has a very nice example of
such an option.

Regarding the "performance reasons" that you mention, this is something
*users* should experiment with and make their own informed decisions
instead of relying on generalities that might not even apply to their
own particular use cases.

Currently I'm using a relatively fast machine with a lot of RAM. But my
last computer was ten years old before it finally stopped working around
three years ago. That machine only had a one core processor, and by
today's standards it was a slow processor, though the machine did have
8GB RAM. That's my "benchmark" machine.

Linear gamma RGB profiles are matrix profiles. My monitor profile is a
matrix profile made using ArgyllCMS. I'm fairly sure that the majority
of users have matrix monitor profiles.

For matrix-to-matrix ICC profile conversions, even on my old machine I
never noticed any slow-down at all, regardless of whether the LCMS
optimizations were being used or not being used.

At least on Linux (I am not willing to make statements about what
happens on Windows or Mac), I'm fairly sure the only time disabling the
LCMS optimizations is likely to slow down performance to the point of
being noticeable by the user, is when the source and/or destination
profile is a LUT profile, such as a printer profile. And even then, "how
slow is too slow" is surely machine-dependent and also a matter of user
preference.

If a user does normally use a LUT monitor profile, well, that person
would probably want to make some experiments and decide whether or not
to enable or disable the LCMS optimizations.

Soft proofing using LCMS does slow down the display of the image, with
or without the optimizations, and I'm sure this has to do with the
double profile conversion going on, as well as with the fact that
printer profiles are LUT profiles.

Personally I don't use LCMS for soft proofing because the LCMS
soft-proofing gamut checks fail rather badly when the source profile is
a linear gamma matrix profile. So I use PhotoFlow for soft-proofing.
PhotoFlow has internal soft proofing code that very nicely works around
the current limitations in LCMS soft proofing. AFAIK this code is still
only in the linear gamma branch of PhotoFlow, but will be merged with
the main branch at least by the 0.30 release
(http://photoflowblog.blogspot.com/,
https://discuss.pixls.us/t/how-soft-proofing-is-implemented-in-photoflow/3546/3).

Best,
Elle