dk & laptop

Boudewijn wankelwankel at yahoo.com
Wed May 31 20:20:09 BST 2017

On zondag 28 mei 2017 15:08:14 CEST Andrey Goreev wrote:
> From: digikam at 911networks.com Date:
>
> > I want to also use [DK] on my laptop, (...)
> >
> > How can I xfer the work done back to the main/desktop db?

> I would (...) make sure to write metadata in either images itself
> or sidecars (or both). In that case you will be able to just copy the
> pictures (with or without sidecars) back your digikam collection on the
> desktop and press Ctrl + A then go to menu "Item" - "Read metadata from
> files".

I would suggest sidecars. It allows to take a much smaller copy of your
pictures while on the road and copy over the sidecars once you're back home.
Then read metadata from files (sidecar --> DK database) and then, just to be
complete, write back to the image files so the information is portable without
the database or an accompanying sidecar.

If you go with the 'clean install'-route: apply all of your tags to one
'seeding image'. The new installation can then build your tag tree from that
single image.

Best regards,

Boudewijn