Digikam starts very slow after renaming images

Michael Fehrer michael.fehrer at gmx.de
Mon May 1 16:59:11 BST 2017

I am using Digikam 5.5.0 on openSUSE Leap 42.2.

After renaming all round about 8000 images in the main album, Digikam is
starting very slowly. It takes more than six minutes to get the main view.
When starting the program from console, the last message is
"Digikam.general: Added root album called:  "Bilder"", which is my main
album containing all the images. The starting screen shows a message
"Reading database..." (translated from german to English, may be
translated differently).

I had to rename all the images because my camera started to name the
images starting again with "IMG_0001.JPG", after 9999 images taken.

Formerly, it took less than a minute to open the main screen.

What can I do to get the shorter starting behaviour?

Michael