Scan for new items takes ages after syncing collection btw. two computers

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Tue Jan 31 13:12:55 GMT 2017

jdd <jdd at dodin.org> wrote:
> Le 31/01/2017 à 13:32, Remco Viëtor a écrit :
>
> > And the part about XMP files you elided is important here, as it gives an
> > alternative that still provides redundancy in cases of database corruption.
>
> yes. xmp files are also easy to copy, but also easy to lose

Exactly, if I copy an image (or move it) I want all relevant
information to go with it and not have to remember other files that
must be copied too.

> > Also, there are arguments *against* storing all metadata in the image files,
> > like privacy considerations (your privacy, and that of anyone figuring in your
> > images, think geotagging, face recognition, ...) which for some can be as
> > important as your arguments to make always writing metadata the default
> > (and again, the discussion for me is about it being the installation
> > *default*)
> >

> we are speaking of your own collection, here, not export...

Yes

Even if "save all metadata with the image" isn't the default there
should be a simple *single* box to tick somewhere to request this.  My
memory of trying to do this a while ago was that it isn't at all
obvious how to do it.

--
Chris Green
·