Max zoom in digikam map

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Sat Jan 21 08:38:07 GMT 2017

On vendredi 20 janvier 2017 23:38:48 CET Matthieu wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I was wondering if there is a way to configure the max zoom available when
> we display GPS locations info from a picture?
>
> Today, when I zoom deep, we are in city view. Is there a way to view more
> deeper the GPS location? I would expect something like we can have in
> google maps (it means, real location).
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Kind regards
>
> Matthieu
It would help if you gave the scale for your maximum zoom, and what map set
and view you use: not all map sets provide the same level of detail.

Because I'm surprised you cannot zoom deep enough, I found that the deepest
zoom was often _too_ deep:
- with OpenstreetMap I can zoom down to a view covering ~250 m (scale bar
shows 40 m per black+white unit)
- Google maps goes down to a scale unit of 2 m in roadmap (similar to
OpenStreetMap), 5 m in satellite view.
And that's about what I get on maps.google.com as well.

Note that if you use atlas view, the deepest zoom is a lot less.

Oh, and this is not something the Digikam developers can do anything about, as
the map display and such is handled by the KDE Marble library (https://
marble.kde.org/). And Marble depends on what maps and detail level are
available in a given map set.

Remco