digiKam '97

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 17:13:07 GMT 2017

> Thank you for the Nabble link, but Nabble is pretty terrible too:
>
> * Search sucks. It returns completely bogus search results when I search
> for my name: http://digikam.1695700.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServ
> let.jtp?macro=search_page&node=1695700&query=dascalescu returns five
> messages instead of two threads, and none of them actually contains
> "dascalescu".
>
> * It doesn't support images or attachments (I guess because the underlying
> mailing list doesn't support them). Are you kidding me? This is a group
> about IMAGE MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE, and I can't attach an image I have trouble
> with, or even a screenshot of a problem I'm encountering? I did try sending
> a screenshot of the Nabble search problem but it was rejected because it
> was over an 80KB size limit. Eighty kilobytes. Hello 1997?

This is an infrastuture problem, not a DK project one. All is relevant of
KDE team which provide these mailling list. We have no time/people to
change this. So we follow KDE in this way.

Note : all KDE hosted projects have this problem.

> * No single-sign on. I have to remember yet another password. This when
> everyone else supports logging in with Google/Facebook/GitHub/whatnot.
>
> So the summary is that, basically, nothing is going to change?
>
> Communities have successfully migrated from Mailman to Discourse -
> https://meta.discourse.org/t/import-mailman-archives-
> into-discourse/18537/9
>
> Forget GitHub or Bugzilla. Imagine the adoption of digiKam if users saw it
> as a modern photo management software, with a welcoming community where
> they could easily search and find answers, or ask for help without going
> through an arcane signup process. Is digiKam worth it?

KDE git server is very good there is nothing to change here.

KDE Bugzilla is excellent. It have all legacy/history/rules of the project,
since... 17 years now. We don't want to lost all. No changes here...

So to resume, if the vision of the project need to be improved in the
future :

1/ re-design digiKam.org.
2/ contact KDE team for a migration of mailing lists.
3/ contact KDE team to adopt a better wiki space.

... and certainly other one.

But the most important is : we (digiKam team) are C++/Qt developers, and we
have no free time to manage changes outside application source code. We
have plenty of fixes to do in implementation, and free time is very
limited.

So if somebody want to help us as webmaster for ex, you is welcome...