digiKam '97

Dan Dascalescu ddascalescu at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 16:59:33 GMT 2017

Thank you for the Nabble link, but Nabble is pretty terrible too:

* Search sucks. It returns completely bogus search results when I search
for my name: http://digikam.1695700.n4.nabble.com/template/
NamlServlet.jtp?macro=search_page&node=1695700&query=dascalescu returns
five messages instead of two threads, and none of them actually contains
"dascalescu".

* It doesn't support images or attachments (I guess because the underlying
mailing list doesn't support them). Are you kidding me? This is a group
about IMAGE MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE, and I can't attach an image I have trouble
with, or even a screenshot of a problem I'm encountering? I did try sending
a screenshot of the Nabble search problem but it was rejected because it
was over an 80KB size limit. Eighty kilobytes. Hello 1997?

* No single-sign on. I have to remember yet another password. This when
everyone else supports logging in with Google/Facebook/GitHub/whatnot.

So the summary is that, basically, nothing is going to change?

Communities have successfully migrated from Mailman to Discourse -
https://meta.discourse.org/t/import-mailman-archives-into-discourse/18537/9

Forget GitHub or Bugzilla. Imagine the adoption of digiKam if users saw it
as a modern photo management software, with a welcoming community where
they could easily search and find answers, or ask for help without going
through an arcane signup process. Is digiKam worth it?