digikam default options

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Sat Jan 14 15:51:22 GMT 2017

On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 07:14:54AM -0700, Andrey Goreev wrote:
>    Wanted to add to my message below.
>
>    I think adding any info to metadata should not be considered as "file
>    modifying". Why would you add any metadata? To get your pictures
>    organized, right? So why would mess with timestamps then? Original
>    timestamps should be preserved.

The *files* timestamp (there are three actually) is operating system
information and is an indicator to the operating system and is used by
other programs and the OS to manage the file.

If I modify a file by changing the metadata I *do* want to change the
timestamp because this tells the operatiny system (and other software)
that the file has been modified and should, for example, be backed up.
Quite a lot of backup programs in particular rely on the file
timestamps to decide whether a file should be backed up.

The times in the metadata are for use by such as Digikam.

--
Chris Green