digikam default options

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Sat Jan 14 12:51:08 GMT 2017

On jeudi 12 janvier 2017 08:49:06 CET Andrey Goreev wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I thought it might be not a bad idea to let users activate/deactivate the
> following options during the initial setup wizard:
>
> * Update file timestamp when files are modified (activated by default)
> * Always show original images (deactivated by default)
>
> I have a feeling that many users would prefer to have updating the file
> timestamp box unchecked and show original images checked.

Showing original images as default: yes; that avoids images appearing as 'not
present' and considered 'lost' (see mailing list...)

NOT updating timestamps as default: no, for at least one simple reason.
If you mean the file "last-modified" timestamp, not updating that would break
all "make-like" programs and scripts, that use that timestamp to see if a
particular fiel needs treatment?
If you mean the EXIF timestamps:  when you stop updating EXIF DateTime, you
break the expected dehaviour, with no benifit, as there is a DateTimeOriginal
tag (which should remain unchanged).

Basically, the program with default settings should have the least surprising
behaviour. Not showing some images or not updating timestamps which reflect
changes go against this principle.

(Note: having those as switches that can be modified by the user is fine -
we hope (s)he knows what (s)he is doing - but this is about the default
settings).

Remco
P.S.: Exactly the same principle applies to (not) updating the thumbnail
representing the undeveloped RAW file (discussed in a separate thread).