Digikam raw files and darktable

Juan Jose Casafranca jjcasmar at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 16:48:36 GMT 2017

On sábado, 7 de enero de 2017 17:39:28 (CET) Remco Viëtor wrote:
> On samedi 7 janvier 2017 16:43:58 CET Juan Jose Casafranca wrote:
> > That is not even close to want I want. What I want is the raw thumbnail to
> > be updated...
> >
> > If I have 20 similar raw files, and I decided one of them is the perfect
> > one and I process it, I want its thumbnail in DK to be updated so when I
> > see my 20 files in DK, I know which one is the one I was processing. Maybe
> > with 1 processed file is not a huge gain, but imagine I process the 20 of
> > them, one to BW, one to other thing... Now I want to open the one I
> > processed in BW low contrast... how do I know which one is it? Visual
> > reference is better than tags for this...
>
> OK, then we clearly have a different way of working: I want to be able to
> see the original raw and the edit(s) side by side. And when I have 20
> similar raw files, I want to see all these 20 files with their edits (that
> is supposing I'm going to edit 20 similar images... Not likely when coming
> back with a few hundred after e.g. an insect hunt). I most certainly do not
> want to see only the edited result, as that makes it impossible to judge
> the amount of editing already done, and whether it went too far compared to
> the original.

I usually do a duplicate in the first place so I have the original file, and
then the processed ones. This way I can see the amount of processing in each
image without exporting any image, just having different xmp, one of them with
an empty history.

> As for not finding one specific file among your edits, I don't know how you
> order your files within the Digikam window, but for me the edits would be
> right next to the original RAW file. Or grouped, so that the edit showed,
> with the others hidden. I can then open the group and go to the RAW that is
> there with the same base name.
>
> Just one thing I'm curious about: how are you going to handle the case where
> you have multiple edits from the same RAW file, e.g. both a B/W and a
> colour edit (yes, this is quite possible with darktable). With your
> suggestion, you'd have only one thumbnail per RAW file, so how are you ever
> going to retrieve or remember the other edit?
> (Even with one thumbnail per edit it's not as straight-forward as i would
> like it to be, as you don't want to edit the exported jpg, but continue
> from the DT history stack before export).

I'm still thinking about this. Of course, it's a very necessary feature. Maybe
digikam should show #xmp views instead of #rawfile views for raw files. Or,
maybe just saying that "xmp" it's an image format that should be read by
digikam, but dont know if this would work or it will continually generate xmp
files...