Digikam raw files and darktable

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Sat Jan 7 09:15:44 GMT 2017

On samedi 7 janvier 2017 03:42:35 CET Juan Jose Casafranca wrote:
> I know that darktable writes not only tags, rating etc, but also the
> process history.
>
> That's why I want digikan to call darktable when it founds a raw file. To
> generate the processed image.
>
> Do you have any idea about digikam code? I see that people is interested in
> this feature, so tomorrow I will try to define the tasks for the project
> and I will share them in the bug I have create for this.

Wouldn't it be easier to get an option in Darktable to write a thumbnail file
to disk when leaving darkroom mode or changing file there? And then add a link
to that thumbnail in the XMP file. Basically, you add an API for external
programs to provide a thumbnail image (and afaik, KDE has a standardised way
to store thumbnails in a directory). And Darktable already generates preview
images/thumbnails (top left in the darkroom window, and of course in
lighttable mode). Better to reuse those if at all possible.

It's clear that Digikam's editor will not be able to generate a thumbnail from
the original RAW and a Darktable XMP. But starting Darktable for each and
every RAW file that has a Darktable XMP is going to be slow (even if you can
reliably detect whether an image has been changed). So at the very least,
starting Darktable to generate thumbnails would have to be optional or a batch
process.

Another problem with that would be all the other RAW processors out there. Why
would Digikam treat Darktable in a special way and ignore all the others?

For the record, I use Darktable as primary editor, and getting the processed
images visible in Digikam would be nice. I'm not sure this should be addressed
(only) from the Digikam side, though.