Correct contents of dc:subject metadata?

bgoodman bg+kdex at cyclos.com
Mon Feb 20 00:15:08 GMT 2017

I have been adding a bunch of tags to photos and digikam is configured to
save the metadata to sidecars.

I had previously updated all the images in the albums to save the metadata
in the files.

After that I tried the maintenance tool to "Sync metadata and database (From
database to image metadata)". I did not expect this to change the sidecar
files since I had just written all the sidecars manually.

One change that I noticed in many places was that the dc:subject data was
changed for many images which had multiple tags.

Before the sync I would have:

   <digiKam:TagsList>
    <rdf:Seq>
     <rdf:li>Vcat/Marin Civic Center</rdf:li>
     <rdf:li>Peo/Michael Golden</rdf:li>
    </rdf:Seq>
   </digiKam:TagsList>
   <dc:subject>
    <rdf:Bag>
     <rdf:li>Marin Civic Center</rdf:li>
     <rdf:li>Michael Golden</rdf:li>
    </rdf:Bag>
   </dc:subject>

After the sync I have:

   <digiKam:TagsList>
    <rdf:Seq>
     <rdf:li>Peo/Michael Golden</rdf:li>
     <rdf:li>Vcat/Marin Civic Center</rdf:li>
    </rdf:Seq>
   </digiKam:TagsList>
   <dc:subject>
    <rdf:Bag>
     <rdf:li>Marin Civic Center</rdf:li>
    </rdf:Bag>
   </dc:subject>

Note that the "Michael Golden" tag is missing from dc:subject.

Is that behavior correct?

I see this with many images. Before the sync there is one entry in
dc:subject for each tag, but after the sync there is only a single entry. I
don't know exactly what dc:subject is supposed to contain but this doesn't
seem to be consistent.