Source code modification

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 13:04:24 BST 2017

> Re: Export tools (web services and not only)
>
> I would consider dropping these options at all if there are more important
> things to do and the resources are very limited.
> It might sound crazy but all these are available via drag and drop to
> browser nowadays.
> I do upload pictures to Flickr and Google Photos as well as attach them to
> emails in gmail (web) and Outlook (app on my windows machine).
> I have done this using digikam plugins and I have done it this via dragging
> pictures from digikam to firefox.
> It is nice to have export options in digiKam but the plugins usually
> introduce bugs, for example email export not working on many linux distros,
> can't create a new album in Google Photos etc. etc.
> If you going to rewrite the plugins that is a lot of code to write and
> maintain after (flickr and google change APIs all the time)
> Just an idea.

In fact, we don't have any alternative.

We are alone to maintain this plugins. Nobody from other KDE hosts
application as Gwenview or KPhotoAlbum contribute.

So there no advantage to share the tools with the rest of the world.
We recieve the bug to fix from non digiKam host. Thanks...

So step by step this tool must be re-written, and the most important
the code factored to the max to limit the maintenance to the
essential.

The plugins will become step by step unusable due to migration to
Oauth protocol everywhere to authentificate users at login. So we must
in all case change the code.

The goal to drop plugins is also to reduce time loading and fix
runtime problems everywhere. Under MacOS and Windows, it's a pain to
include plugins and see these loaded at startup. It's not acceptable.

And finally, the main goal on long time, to drop the last 20% of KDE
dependencies is to cut the KDE plugins interface. We need a pure Qt5
application, working everywhere as expected.

Gilles Caulier