Exiv2 bug reports

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 19:17:24 BST 2017

I'm back to this subject.

I receive a mail from Exiv2 forum few days ago. This become more and more
critical for the future of Exiv2 :

http://dev.exiv2.org/boards/3/topics/2829

I don't know where is the problem exactly in Exiv2 team. Even if Exiv2 0.26
is released, i fear to see a very long time before a next 0.27 release with
video support bugfixes, as i hope.

So we need a solid alternative... The only one is Exiftool of course. I see
these possible problem to use it in digiKam:

- Exiftool is Perl based program, not a lox level library. For each action
to perform with metadata, we need to create a process. this is time
consuming in a muti-threaded application as digiKam.

- Exiftool can be compiled as binary program for the target and It need to
be embedded in digiKam as ressource. This is a little bit complicated to
do. Even if we do it fro the bundle, the distro based version will still as
a script. Performance will be low, i'm sure...

- Exiftool syntax to play with metadata tags is completely different than
Exiv2. The port will be long and regression tests an hell...

VoilĂ . I'm not yet investigated better for the moment. This kind of change
in digiKam core is a very important stage, so, a good analysis of the
possibilities need to be done before to start something in source code.