Coming from Picasa Desktop - help

bjnovick bjnovick at msn.com
Tue Oct 18 21:24:24 BST 2016

I think the best way to explain this might be to give you a challenge:
1) Create a tag for a virtual album each day for the next 3 days (call the
tag whatever you want, but start it with VA for Virtual Album).  This will
simulate creating virtual albums over a period of time (pretend each day is
a year and the tag name represents an event/scrapbook for which you want a
collection of your photos)
2) Tag some images with the tag that you created for that day.  Make sure to
have some images that have tags for multiple days

Challenge: On the fourth day use a search try to find the tag (not the
images) that corresponds with year 2 (i.e. the tag you created on the 2nd
day).  The trick - you are not allowed to use the name of the tag because by
year 4 you have forgotten the actual names!  The only thing you remember is
when you created it.  I surmise that the only way you will be able to do
this is to include date information in the name of the tag, which is very
undesirable as it relies on everyone in the family sticking to the format
(i.e. VA - 2/2/2015 - MyGreatParty).

I have tried using the tag method, and also the Picasa way, Lightroom,
Acdsee, PhotoDirector, Shotwell, etc way. (each of these have other reasons
why they don't work for my family)  Let me ask - if tags and file storage
structure work, why do so many DAM/Photo Organizing programs have concepts
like Virtual Albums/Scrapbooks/PhotoGroups/Events?

One way to solve the backup issue is to store VA information in the DB AND
in what is equivalent to a sidecar file.